The most Beautiful Place I've ever Been

The most Beautiful Place I've ever Been
Big Sur, California

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

ROUTE 101, LAGUNA BEACH & THE GASLAMP DISTRICT

8/4/08












Well, today I planned to go up the coast all the way to Malibu as I have done many times in the past, but I just didn't feel like rushing and wanted to spend more time in Laguna Beach. So, I only went that far. On the way up I stopped in the little beach towns along the way. One of my favorite ones is Dana Point. From high up on the cliffs, you can look down on the marina. The view is breathtaking and everything looks so beautiful and perfect! I love it!!



This is the road that leads down to the harbor! Awesome!! Gotta' love those cliffs!



















This is the coastline on the other side of the harbor and marina. Beautiful!!
There is an Ocean Institute there by the marina that teaches all sorts of stuff about the ocean and conservation. It was pretty cool. I didn't actually go on one of the tours/classes, but its a neat place. Great gift shop too :)

























Another little beach community that I love is Oceanside. Its right by Camp Pendleton (the Marine base), so its really a big-time military town. It is just so quaint and beautiful! The pier is a big draw for tourists and locals alike. It is reeeeaallly long! People fish from it and walk and jog on it. There is a restaurant at the end of it too.












































Ocean House is a beautiful restaurant that always catches my attention. I've never eaten there, but maybe someday.




















A typical old-fashioned California car!
Usually they have the wooden sides and are carrying a surfboard or two on top. This one was bright red! I couldn't resist posting it in black & white though.









Oceanside Pier
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then on to Laguna Beach. And, yes, it really is as beautiful as everyone says! I love it there too. There are two major arts festivals that run all summer long that go on every year here. There are also just tons of art galleries and artist studios everywhere you look. The beach is absolutely gorgeous too!









I thought that these benches just sitting there by the sea looked so inviting! What a great backdrop!!

































The beach here kind of reminds me of those pictures of Italy or the Greek isles somewhere. I think its because of the way the city and the houses are kind of built into the side of the cliffs like that.


















I did get the chance to take a couple of photos of the coast from up among the houses on the cliffs. I drove up there for a little while to see some of the houses and some of the views from up there. I cannot imagine actually waking up to that every day! What must that be like?








I also snapped some pictures of some of the shops along the way. Lots of fun shopping! Being that I like nautical things and sea shells, etc. the shops around here are right up my alley!!































On the way back to San Diego, I went by way of I-5 instead of the smaller beach routes 'cause I was tired! I like to stop by at the scenic viewpoint by Camp Pendleton to snap some pictures. Its is so beautiful there - just wide open space. San Onofre State Beach is right out in front but most of the land around that whole area is Marine base.

Some of the local wildlife! There are tons of these
little gopher things that live in the cliffs!!






Well, When I got back to the hotel, I was pretty tired, but I hate to waste time on vacation! So . . . I headed downtown for the evening. I went to the Gaslamp District. Its a historic older section of downtown and a lot of it is still lit by real gas-burning street lamps. The main street there is 5th street and it is just lined on both sides with restaurants and shops. Its a great place to get something good to eat or shop. There are restaurants for every kind of food you can imagine and almost all of them have outdoor seating as well.












One of my first stops is usually the Ghirardelli Chocolate shop! They have the best stuff in there!! There is an ice cream shop in there as well! Too good!!! At least go in to get a free sample of the chocolate that they had out on the way in!! Yum!

























I also stopped by Horton Plaza while I was there. Its a HUGE mall in the middle of downtown. There are at least 4 different levels to the mall with walkways and escalators running every which way! Its totally cool!! The walkways are open to the air due to the favorable weather here, so its a great place to hang out, shop AND enjoy the fresh air! Sorry my night photography is sooo bad! I have to read the manual for my camera when I get home!! (no I haven't read it yet!)






































Well, that's all for tonight. I'm gonna' some sleep so I can hit the beach early in the morning! Well, at least early for me (pro'ly 'round 10 or 11 o'clock) Ha, Ha!

No comments: