The most Beautiful Place I've ever Been

The most Beautiful Place I've ever Been
Big Sur, California

Friday, August 1, 2008

SUN, SURF & FAVORITE PLACES!!

8/1/08
Well, I started off the day going back to the beach again. I actually went swimming today (conquer your fears Dave!!). To those that don't know, I have terrible luck in the ocean even though I LOVE it!! I was stung by a sea urchin in Grand Cayman and about 4 years ago I was stung by a stingray on each foot while swimming in Solona Beach. Thank God my parents were with me and the lifeguards were close by because I could barely walk! Anyway, enough of that, I went swimming and really enjoyed it! After the initial *take your breath away* cold, it was so nice and refreshing! Its definitely not like Florida water in the summer. Its still COLD!!


Then I went down to Torrey Pines Beach to walk. It is so beautiful down there. I like to walk down the beach to Flat Rock and back. Its really good exercise and makes me feel so alive!



These beautiful cabanas were provided by The Lodge at Torrey Pines and the Spa there. I wanted to take up residence!! They were open to the public - not just guests of the hotel, but it turns out they cost $100/day! Guess I'll just stick with my beach towel & bottle of water for now! I did work really hard to resist the temptation to make off with the gift bag from the spa!! I wonder what was inside?

















This is Flat Rock. You can hike down to it from Torry Pines State Reserve too. (up on top of the cliffs) Its kind of a landmark on this area of beach. Much further and you will find yourself on the "clothing optional" beach! Oh my! Its not really legal, but it is tolerated because of its position on the beach. You have to hike down the cliffs to it or walk a loooong way to get there, so . . . people do things that normally they wouldn't!

I felt bad a few years ago that they closed the trail down to the beach from up on the cliff trails. It had eroded so badly that it was unsafe. Well, I was glad to find that this year they have build a new trail down the cliffs. I will have to give that a try!! I climbed up some of the stairs and went up the trail a ways to get some good shots of the beach.






















There are many places in the cliffs that are worn and tunneled by wind and water. I think the cliffs are beautiful!! Several of these places are like little caves that you could crawl back into (not that I would). OK, I have before, but that was dumb!


You can see the fenced in area on the edge of the cliff. That is Ragged Point. You can hike down from way up above that and Ragged Point is the end point of the trail. You can't see it, but the mountain actually goes quite a bit higher than the cliffs are. They just slope upwards instead of drop off, so you can't see the rest of it from the beach. Its quite a hike down to that point, let alone the beach trail which you take all the way down!! The problem is, you have to go all the way back up again! That's the killer!!
















Well, time to get on with my day and leave the beach for a little while. I'll be back though!! :)





During the one video, this guy standing there was asking "Is that a video camera?" Uhhhh, Duh! I was moving it around and talking into it! Most people don't talk to their cameras unless they are recording a video! How dumb. When I didn't respond right away, he called to me and said "Hey FBI agent!" I waited until I was done shooting and then talked to him. You can hear him talking and saying that to me right at the end. Weirdo!



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After I left the beach, I went to Rubio's! Its a "fresh Mexican grill" and their food is spectacular!! I got some food and headed back to my room for a shower and lunch and then headed back out again. I headed straight for Point Loma and the Cabrillo National Monument. From up there you can see the bay and the whole downtown area as well as out to sea! It is one of the best views I have ever seen!!


First though, the more sobering side of Point Loma. The National Cemetery. Its like Arlington Cemetery and is the final resting place for hundreds and hundreds of service men and women. Very sad but at the same time, makes me grateful to be an American when I think of their sacrifice for the freedoms that we all enjoy.




















On both sides of the mountain the gravestones just go on and on as they slope down towards the sea. Its beautiful and sad at the same time.











After I left Point Loma, I decided to go to Old Town for a little while. There are so many things to do there from some very old historic buildings to great shops and restaurants! Always a fun place to be. I got there kinda' late, so I didn't intend to spend long. It was a little before 6pm and some of the shops where closed. Most were not and the restaurants were thriving with people. All of you that like to shop for little trinkets and Mexican art, pottery, nice household items, etc. would be thrilled to be there!! They have a shop for everything!





























These are just some of the old buildings and houses that are in Old Town. Most of them are now open to the public as historic sites, but some are still used as Bed & Breakfasts or something. One of them is something my Mom would love - a tea house! :)







Old meets new as you look up on the cliffs surrounding Old Town. This house always catches my attention! I think its beautiful!!












This Video is specifically for Ruth Ann Glaser!! She will get the joke!! :)





















































































































After I left there, I decided to go over to Coronado Island! I love it over there. You can see it in the above video. It is just across the bay from downtown San Diego. The island itself is absolutely beautiful, but I always head for The Hotel Del Coronado. There is a lot of stuff there to do and see. This time, I decided to drive around a little more than usual and see some of the other parts of the island. I stopped at a little park near the base of the bridge to get some pictures.































































This is the Hotel Del Coronado or as the locals call it "The Del." It has a storied history and has hosted presidents, European royalty, and the rich and famous for many, many years. Its a sight to behold!!


Inside the hotel its just breathtaking! There are beautiful carpets, woodwork that would make anyone stand in awe, and luxery at every turn!!





Below the hotel is a little mall of very exclusive shops. There are luxery clothiers and jewelery stores. There are also about three different restaurants facing the ocean on the lower level. There is also an ice cream shop that I just have to stop at every time I'm there. Yummy!!!

This is a picture of The Crown Room. Its a banquet room and is absolutely gorgeous!! I have seen inside before, but usually its closed from the inside unless you are part of the party that has rented it. The entire room is covered with beautiful woodwork and of course the crown-shaped chandeliers set it off just perfectly!
Out on the lawn, there was another private party. I asume it was some sort of wedding rehersal dinner or something. What a beautiful setting!! The sea in the distance and the hotel as a backdrop!!
I shot a couple of videos as I walked out around the hotel and down to the lower level. Enjoy!
Well, its time to leave The Del and go rest up for another fun-filled day! Its now about 8:30pm and I'm whooped!! I have crammed a lot into one day and I feel like blogging and then doing my other favorite activity - SLEEP!! (well, its not exactly an activity, now is it!!)
This video is of me taking the elevator up to the main lobby from the shops below and walking out the front door on my way to my car. I like taking the elevator there because its an old-fashioned one and has an elevator operator and everything!! So cool!!

Ok, so I don't know why this is sideways. Grrr! Its not sideways on my computer and I tried reloading it a couple of times, but its still sideways, so TILT YOUR HEAD TO THE LEFT PEOPLE!! HA, HA!!!


This is just to remind you that I am zoomin' around in a Mustang!! I love it!!!! :) Just had to rub it in!!

















No comments: