The most Beautiful Place I've ever Been

The most Beautiful Place I've ever Been
Big Sur, California

Thursday, July 31, 2008

CARDIFF, SHELTER ISLAND, & LA JOLLA

7/31/08: Well, after I got my luggage this morning, I went back to bed! I was soooo tired from yesterday that I would not have enjoyed myself otherwise. Then I went to the beach. One of my favorite locations is Cardiff Beach. It is way less crowded than some of the other ones. As you can see, there is plenty of privacy and its nice and quiet!! Love it! I got some sun, then turned over and got some more. :) It was almost too good to be true! Finally, lying in the sun on a California beach! I've been waitin' all year for this!!!
This was my spot. I scouted it out and found it to be just about perfect for me!

































Shelter Island is near Point Loma and sticks out into San Diego Bay. The view of the city is beautiful from there! The San Diego Yacht Club is on Shelter Island along with a bunch of other boat and ship yards. Its a pretty neat place to check out. There are some great restaurants and hotels along there too. Tonight there is a concert at one of the hotels there. Its Emmilou Harris!! :) Tomorrow night its Dollie Parton. Kinda' cool. Its a really small exclusive area.




After I left Shelter Island, I headed to La Jolla! Its an absolutely one-of-a-kind place! It was the world's best place to live a few years ago. Its also one of the most expensive :( Anyway, this panoramic is looking north up the coast.

One really neat thing in La Jolla is the "sea wall" for lack of a better term. It kind of protects this little beach that at one time was for people to swim on. Now it has been taken over by seals and sea lions and is off limits to people. The animal rights people have made it so that it is illegal to chase off the wildlife, so the sea lions can just claim a dock, a beach, whatever - and it becomes theirs! Oh well, they are entertaining to watch sometimes.




















I like to walk out on the sea wall and watch the waves come in and try to dodge the spray!! About every 3rd or 4th wave is really big and will wash up over the wall in places. You just never know where! There are people out there (tourists) that will scream and run from one end to the other trying to avoid getting drenched! I was one of them today! I DID NOT choose where to stand very wisely and got soaked!!!



The water was a beautiful shade of turquoise & aqua green! I love watching the waves and am always just in awe of their power!































These poor little girls got totally SOAKED!! by the next wave that hit! That water is COLD!!! The lifeguard tower had posted that the water temp is 70 degrees, but it feels cold and its always a bit windy by the coast, so after getting soaked, you head for shelter (trust me, I know from experience!)
I took tons of pictures of the waves, but I'll try to narrow it down for ya' so you can see some of the beauty of this place.

















No comments: